Praying Mantis Jar

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

We are anxiously awaiting the hatching of our little garden eyes! I wish it didn’t take so many weeks for these little guys to make an appearance. We are not a patient group of people here.

Mantis1
We found these praying mantis cocoons in our garden during spring clean up. Two of them were stuck to my tomato cages and the other is on a plant stalk. I believe it was an eggplant. Can’t remember now though.

Mantis
Yes, the jar sits on our kitchen counter. What did you expect? It’s where we can all watch them best. Or they can watch us… they usually see us before we see them.

Come on little buddies! Our garden needs you again this year!

Head on over to the Tuesday Garden Party over at An Oregon Cottage to check out more awesome gardener's, tips and ideas.



5 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

I've never done that with a praying mantis - I think it would be fascinating to watch. I have to admit, that although I know what the benefits of bugs are, I'm not a huge fan - the praying mantis would be an exception, though. There's just something about them!

Beth said...

What a great nature observation project! I hope they hatch and you are able to use them in your garden once again.

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

That's a cool project--very interesting to watch the entire process up close!

Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

Wow! I never thought of putting the cases in a jar to watch, just like raising butterflies from caterpillars.

It always amazes me where we find the egg cases. This year I found one at the top of our butterfly bush.

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

One of my preschoolers ordered one and brought it in to share with the class before hatching. Then she brought it in again a couple weeks later after they hatched - there were probably a hundred little praying mantises from two cocoons! And they were feisty, too. :-) Good luck with yours!

Post a Comment

Anyone can leave a comment. Comments are fun!
If you do not have a google account, use the Name/URL for leaving a comment.
Thanks for stopping by!

PS - I do not use Captcha