Ground Cherries

Thursday, June 30, 2011

GroundCherries_thumb[2]
It’s similar to a tomato but it grows inside a husk. Do you see them in there? They match the leaves but all those little lantern ball looking things are ground cherries. I really like the little flowers that the plant makes too. Very pretty little yellow and purple flowers all over the place.

I have not found any other purpose for these other than a tasty reward for my garden weeding! The kids won’t stay out of them. If anyone has a ground cherry recipe though, let me know! I’d love to try something new with these yummy morsels.

When the husk turns brown and drops to the ground, they are ready to eat. You take off the husk and there’s a small yellow pineapple flavored tomato inside. I’d show you a picture of the fruit but we eat ‘em too fast! Hehehe! One plant produces a TON of the little yummies and it gets about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall. I actually look forward to it stopping growing. It’s covering my carrots!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can leave a comment. Comments are fun!
If you do not have a google account, use the Name/URL for leaving a comment.
Thanks for stopping by!

PS - I do not use Captcha