Milk in the Backyard?

Friday, March 19, 2010

Nooo... but according to my little kiddo (Sweet Pea) there is milk in the backyard! It's very disturbing to Sweet Pea for milk to be out there too. I had to show the poor little tyke what exactly we had in the backyard so we made up another milk carton for Winter Sowing.


Winter Sowing is a method of growing seeds EARLY for your garden outside and, might I add, a brilliant idea. I remember reading up on it a bit last year, but forgot all about it until one of my all-time-favorite garden bloggers Skippy's Garden posted that she was doing Winter Sowing. So excited to see how mine turn out!

To try this yourself you'll need to gather some supplies:

  • Clean, Dry Milk Jug
  • Box Cutter or Scissors
  • (Seed Starting) Soil
  • Duct Tape
  • Clear Tape
  • Sharpie
  • Seeds!

1. Cut the milk carton in half with your scissors or box cutters.

2. Cut small slits into the bottom half of the milk carton for water drainage.

3. Create a label using sharpie and duct tape. I use the clear tape OVER the labels to prevent the labels from washing away. (Don't do what I did, make your label BEFORE putting the soil and seeds in the container. Hehe... Lot less chances of spilling.)

4. Add soil and seeds. I put 2 rows in the carton to plant. You can sprinkle seeds around or however you feel called to plant seeds. I am not looking for more than 2 plants from each set of seeds I planted so I limited how many I planted. I did plant 2 different plant varieties in each milk jug too.

5. Using the top portion of the milk jug, cover the soil and seeds. Duct tape the two together trying not to leave any gaps. This is supposed to be similar to a mini greenhouse.

6. Place outside in a sunny area and cover with straw to keep it all warm.

I also spritzed some water in to my container before setting it outside because we didn't have rain in the forecast when I put them outside. I do not have straw for mine either... SIGH... I so don't even follow my own simple instructions!

Are you interested in trying Winter Sowing/Planting?? It's not too late to get started. Let me know and, if you have one, put your link in a comment. I'd love to come see.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can leave a comment. Comments are fun!
If you do not have a google account, use the Name/URL for leaving a comment.
Thanks for stopping by!

PS - I do not use Captcha