Basically you scoop up dirt, add water and than either add baking soda or vinegar for the test. Woowho! Easy enough right? (Click on the image to the right here for more information about how you can perform this test.)
The kids had to figure out how to tell the difference between their soil samples, make sure they picked up samples from the same location and use the same amount of water/baking soda/vinegar on each sample. Eh… piece of cake!
It was fun to try this out and I’m glad we did. Apparently all my garden dirt is acidic. Now to amend that before my little seeding lovelies get kicked outside this year.
We did NOT do full mason jars for our experiment but we did adjust down amounts used for our tiny little samples (as best we could). We also used bottled water so that anything in our water wasn’t as prominent in the testing. We should run the test twice just to make sure it is true but from what I’ve read about acidic dirt in the garden, it seems spot on.